Dr. Zuckerman's Guide to Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck Surgery)
If you’ve been having trouble eliminating extra skin folds in the abdominal region, Dr. Zuckerman can help you attain a tighter, athletic-looking stomach. Abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck surgery, with Dr. Zuckerman is the gold standard procedure for getting rid of stubborn, excess skin in the midsection. This procedure is one of the most common Dr. Zuckerman performs and can give you a more toned, fit appearance to the stomach and help you get rid of extra fat that doesn’t respond to diet and exercise. A tummy tuck can also be very beneficial for new mothers who are having trouble getting back to their pre-pregnancy figures. Dr. Zuckerman is one of the most skilled and respected in the region and has been trained and educated at some of the most prestigious medical institutions in the world including Brown University and NYU. He is highly adept with abdominoplasty procedures and offers safe, effective treatment that can provide you with natural-looking results.
Click into each section below for more information. Or, if you're ready for your private abdominoplasty consultation with Dr. Zuckerman, please contact the Dr. Zuckerman's offices today.
A tummy tuck, medically referred to as abdominoplasty, is designed to remove extra fat and skin from the abdominal region and redrape the area for a firmer midsection. Excess skin folds and fat can appear in this region to a number of factors, including:
- Significant weight loss
Excess fat and skin in the abdomen can often be extraordinarily difficult to eliminate, even with a strict diet and a rigorous exercise routine. As you can see in some of these Before & After photos above and below, this procedure can do wonders for tightening the abdominal muscles and getting rid of the excess skin.
A tummy tuck typically begins with an incision made above the pubic area, stretching from hip to hip. Another incision is made to free the navel from surrounding tissue. The skin is then lifted, and the underlying abdominal muscles tightened and pulled taut. Excess skin is removed, and the remainder is redraped and tightened for a firmer, flatter appearance. The navel is then stitched back into place and the incisions closed.
Some patients with less excess skin and muscle separation, can undergo a 'Mini Tummy Tuck' by Dr. Zuckerman. View more information from Dr. Zuckerman's Q&A about the Mini Tummy Tuck here.
Tummy tuck surgery can be performed at one of Dr. Zuckerman's state-of-the-art, fully equipped operating rooms located in Midtown Manhattan. These new rooms have been certified by the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities, Inc. (AAAASF), an organization which recognizes operating environments that adhere to the highest standards of care.
- Day of surgery: tummy tuck, with accompanying liposculpture of the flanks and contouring of the waistline. 2 small drains left in place to eliminate the possibility of post-op fluid collection. Pain control with long-acting local anesthetic. Walking is encouraged. Hips are kept gently flexed for the first week. Gentle compression garment is worn. Showering is allowed with drains in place.
- Post-op days 3-5: swelling reaches is maximum level, but pain remains well controlled. Activity level gradually increases. Pain medication is weaned off.
- 1 week: Drains are removed painlessly. Hips no longer required to be flexed. Swelling begins to subside. Majority of patients return to work. Most patients off all pain medication.
- 2 weeks: Normal daily routine is resumed, including gentle aerobic exercise. Compression garment still worn under clothing to reduce swelling.
- 6 weeks: All exercise allowed to be resumed, including strenuous lifting and abdominal exercise. Swelling continues to reduce, approaching zero during this time.
- 3 months: Final contour is achieved
- 1 year: Final appearance of scars is reached, optimized by scar massage, silicone-based scar gel, and protection from the sun.
Patients should expect a recovery process of several weeks before feeling completely back to normal; however, you can typically expect to be back to your normal daily routine after about one to two weeks. Some swelling and bruising is to be expected while the area heals, and any discomfort can be managed with medication. Strenuous exercise and strain to the abdominal region should be avoided for at least six weeks after a tummy tuck procedure. Short walks should be taken soon after surgery to avoid blood clots. There will be some degree of scarring after the procedure; however, scarring from tummy tuck surgery will likely diminish to a certain extent over time, and the scar can typically be hidden under clothing, and even swimwear.
Dr. Zuckerman is extremely skilled and highly experienced with tummy tuck procedures and will make every effort to minimize risks. Risks can be further minimized by patients strictly adhering to Dr. Zuckerman’s instructions both before and after the procedure. All aspects of tummy tuck surgery, including risk of complications, will be discussed in detail at your initial consultation.
Before & After Results
Ready for your consultation?
Are you ready for your consultation with Dr. Zuckerman? During your consultation, Dr. Zuckerman can address concerns and any questions you may have about the surgery. He will also discuss with you the details of his approach: incision location(s), procedure length and techniques, likely operative outcome, etc. Contact his office via the request form or call any of his four physical office locations. Dr. Zuckerman also offers consultations via Skype and a process for out-of-town patients to visit New York to have surgery.